BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Band Kids... Gotta Love'em!!! :)

So yesterday was a band competition for BCHS, and since I'm helping with the band now, I went as a chaperone.  I ended up going on the boys' bus, which wasn't all that entertaining on the way to the competition... But on the way back was a completely different story!

As soon as the bus started moving, they started singing gospel songs... Then they switched to rap, and one of the band directors told them if they were gonna sing, to switch back to gospel and sing about Jesus instead of whatever they were rapping about, so they did.  They were HILARIOUS!  They ended up basically having church in the back of the bus, and they were taking turns preaching.  Brother So-and-so would preach, then they'd sing a couple of songs.  Then Reverend Whoever would take over.  They'd sing a while, then Deacon Fill-in-the-blank would jump in.  This went on until we stopped for dinner almost an hour later!  One of the guys said something to me about how I must have never been to a black church before.  I told him that I'd been to black churches a few times, but I'd never seen anything like this... Then he amended his statement and said I'd never been to a "ghetto" black church before, to which I said I guessed he was right. lol

They were preaching about drugs, girls, alcohol, and anything you could imagine a teenaged boy thinking about... At one point, they started preaching about a woman that showed them the way, how they passed her class and how she taught them things they hadn't known about Spanish and have since forgotten, and asking God to help them with the new Spanish II teacher.  Can you tell they knew I was turned around listening? lol

I loved going on the band trips at the other school I worked at because of the kids... But I think I'm gonna love going on trips with these kids even more!!!  :)

0 comments: